Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thankfulness

One week from today we will celebrate a national holiday that we refer to as "Thanksgiving Day."  This is a day set aside for families and friends to gather for a large meal (usually accompanied by over-eating), watching football games, and possibly looking at the newspaper for all of the "deals" as the stores prepare for the shopping season of Christmas.  I am not against any of the above mentioned activities and I will personally participate is several of those activities.  Oh, I failed to mention that naps are also a part of our celebration; it just seems that food and naps go hand in hand!  But I feel that I need to offer a gentle reminder that Thanksgiving is more than just a Holiday on our calendar.  Thanksgiving should be an attitude, attribute, and characteristic of each believer that confesses Jesus Christ as our Savior.  Some of you may stop reading this blog after that statement because you are agreeing with my words through a nod of your head and an agreement in your spirit that I have stated the truth.  But don't we think that God needs more than a "nod of approval"?  I believe that God deserves more than just an "agreement" in our spirit.  God is worthy of our praise, adoration, and worship.  He deserves to hear your voice and my voice declaring His greatness and declaring our thankfulness to Him for all that He has provided in our lives. 
 
Listen to the Psalmist David's words in the following Psalm and let those thoughts resonate in our lives today!
 
Psalms 145:1-7: 1I will exalt you, my God and King, and praise your name forever and ever.  2I will praise you every day; yes, I will praise you forever. 3Great is the Lord! He is most worthy of praise! No one can measure his greatness. 4Let each generation tell its children of your mighty acts; let them proclaim your power. 5I will meditate on your majestic, glorious splendor and your wonderful miracles. 6Your awe-inspiring deeds will be on every tongue; I will proclaim your greatness.  7Everyone will share the story of your wonderful goodness; they will sing with joy about your righteousness. (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment