Monday, September 2, 2013

"Labor" Day

Matthew 11:28-30, "Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (NLT)
 
 
Today is a day of rest and relaxation for many people around this nation. In America we have learned to stretch this one day into a three of four day holiday weekend. Do we do this because we are looking for a final weekend of vacation or is this due to the spirit of "restlessness" that is present in the lives of so many people in our modern world? Many people find themselves searching and looking for "something" yet they return home empty day after day. Is it possible that they are looking in all of the wrong places rather than placing their faith and trust in God?
 
I don't head for the dry and barren desert if I am thirsty. No, I head for a resource of fresh and clean water that can satisfy the thirst that is present in my body. Why do we allow our soul to look at the emptiness and barrenness of this world and remain thirsty? There is a supply of living water that is able to quench the longing that many people are sensing in their lives today.
 
We could learn from a small child today. Do you remember when your child would hold up his/her empty cup and ask for you to fill it once again? The child even learned the motion of lifting the cup upward and outward even before they mastered the use of language. Why did they take this action? They acted out of a need that was present in their lives; they were THIRSTY and they were looking for a source that would satisfy their need.
 
Today's scripture passage reveals Jesus issuing an invitation, "Come to me..." I encourage you today to take some time and "come to Jesus" with all of the situations that you are facing. He promises to bring rest (refresh, take ease) to your soul as you place your trust in Him.
 
Be blessed and encouraged through the power and presence of the Word of God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment