Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Obedience

James 1:23-25, "For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. 24 You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. 25 But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it. (NLT)

I will not attempt to do a complete exegesis of this passage of scripture but the Spirit did place this passage in my heart this morning as I was praying. I am very concerned about the need for each believer to put into practice the principles of Christianity. The Word of God is full of practical truths that need to be revealed, demonstrated or "lived out" in our daily lives. 

Is it possible that we are seeing more than we are doing? Have I grown comfortable with becoming acquainted with the principles of Christ without making full application of those same principles into my daily lifestyle? Have I convinced myself that observation of the teachings/principles of Christ is all that I need to do? Am I committed to walking in the full revelation of this powerful passage in James?

I am convinced that the Spirit is calling us into a relationship that will require full and complete surrender, obedience, and participation with God in the process of discipleship. We have grown comfortable with knowledge and failed to realize that the knowledge we have is only beneficial if it is put into practice in our lives. God will bless us if we practice those principles that have been declared and revealed to us through the Word and Spirit of God. We need to remember the Truth of God's Word and allow that Truth to bring spiritual freedom into our lives. 

I encourage each of us to seriously consider not only the challenge of this passage but also the blessings of practicing this passage of scripture found in the writings of the Apostle James!!

No comments:

Post a Comment