Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Weekend Thoughts, Part 2

Several conversations on Monday convinced me that what I had heard in my spirit during Sunday's service was also being heard by others who were sitting in the same service. I do not mean to use these words to affirm or even confirm the message that the Spirit had placed in my heart that day but I do find it intriguing that there were individuals sitting in the worship service who could sense God revealing this area of truth to their hearts. I am completely convinced that we must engage God in a manner of a student/teacher relationship as well as the relational one of Father/child. Yes, God is our Heavenly Father and we are called His children but He also reveals Himself as the Way, the Truth and the Life through Jesus Christ. One of the ministries/functions of the Holy Spirit is to lead and guide us into all Truth. The Spirit will reveal the appropriate revelation and application of the Word to our lives. Psalm 119:105, "Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path." (NKJ) (Emphasis added)

We find it so easy to engage our culture in so many situations but we struggle when it comes time to turn our attention to God and engage Him in a time of spiritual connectivity. We find it easy to connect with social events in our lives such as family gatherings, sporting events, recreational events as well as leisure and relaxation events. None of these things are sinful in and of themselves but it does remind us that we do have the ability to engage/connect/relate to situations and people that are taking place around us. Should not this same "ability" be carried over into our relationship with God as we commune with Him through His Word, His Presence and His Guidance? Is it possible that we have allowed the enemy of our soul to sell us a bill of goods that is becoming unprofitable and a hindrance to our spiritual progress? Each of us may need to take a spiritual inventory of our lives and ask ourselves some of these questions. "Am I making a concerted effort to engage/connect/relate to God during my private as well as corporate times of worship? Do I truly desire to see my relationship with God grow, mature and develop according to His plan and purpose? Have I fully committed and surrendered my life to Christ or have I learned to settle for the "course of least resistance" when it comes to serving God?"

Each of us need to develop our own set of questions that we review from time to time as a means of examining our walk with Christ. I am learning to understand the need to hold myself accountable to myself as well as depending on others to assist me in being held accountable. We must remember that God loves us enough that He will provide the tools as well as the strength we need to be successful in our journey with Him. But He does expect me (you) to join Him in the process and progress of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment