Thursday, June 12, 2014

Reminders

The phone that I am presently using has an app called "Reminders." The purpose of that app is to assist me in remembering those things that are important for me NOT to forget. I simply type a reminder into the appropriate boxes and designate the importance of the reminder. I can designate the time, location and priority of the reminder. Did I mention that I can even designate the need for daily reminders if needed? Now, that is an app that provides a lot of services to assist me in remembering to stop at the grocery store and pick up a loaf of bread on my way home from the office.

The Bible Study on Wednesday night opened with a discussion concerning "spiritual reminders." I must confess that there are times in my life in which I need the Spirit to bring the promises and provision of God to my remembrance. I need to stop and pick up the bread for sure but it is the Bread of Life that I need to hear and remember. Several of the participants in the time of study and discussion shared about times in their lives in which God sent them "reminders" (signs) to let them know that He had not forgotten them. As Christians we know that the Word of God makes that declaration very plainly in the Bible. BUT isn't it true that life has a way of "clouding up" our memory in such a way that we can become forgetful? We do not mean to allow that to happen but the challenges of the moment cause us to forget one of the most important promises of God. You may be thinking, which promise are you referencing? I am referencing the promise of the continual presence of God in our lives.  Let me remind you of that promise found in Hebrews 13;5-6, "Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you. So we can say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?” (NLT) Needles to say that all of us who were sitting in that room during that study left with our hearts, souls, minds and spirits rejuvenated and encouraged.

Side note: We witnessed a beautiful rainbow in the sky on our drive home. Was that a coincidence or a reminder? I will let you answer that question for me remembering the type of Bible study and discussion that we had just left. 

No comments:

Post a Comment