Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Greatness of God, Part 3

My heart continues to be challenged about the need to remember the "Greatness of God." I do not desire for these posts to sound redundant or repetitive but I do think that it is very important to understand what God is saying to us. I found myself concluding my time of prayer this morning by singing  some of the verses of the song "How Great Thou Art."  I do not want to try and describe my performance but I do know that my heart sincerely began to declare that regardless of what is happening in our world that the "Greatness of God" is not affected by any of those events that are taking place. I desire for my praises and exaltation of God to counteract all of the vain uses of the name of God which happens on a daily basis in our world.

I was further challenged when I read a post that our Youth Pastor had placed on his Facebook page yesterday. It was a portion of a sermon and although it did not directly talk about the "Greatness of God" it did stir some inspiration in my heart. I had to ask myself these questions; "Has the present day church failed to declare the Greatness of God? Have we allowed the spirit of the age to intimidate us when it comes to the power and authority of God? Have we taken a back seat to the attitude of the world and allowed them to express their belief in "powers" that come from sources other than God? These and many other ideas flooded my heart as I realized that I can not afford to vacate my position as a Pastor when it comes to fully declaring the whole counsel of God as I am given opportunity to share about the "Greatness of God."

We live in a world (through the eyes of television and movies) of "super heroes with super powers." No one bats an eye when it comes to comic book characters coming alive on the television screens in our homes and movie screens in theaters. But Preachers are mocked and ridiculed when they declare the Biblical principle that "with God all things are possible." These Preachers are ridiculed as those who either live in the past days of the Bible or they are ridiculed as "theologically incorrect." Yet we read about political power, financial power, star power, and powers of darkness and evil. These "powers" seem to be acceptable to many people yet we turn away from the church if they choose to talk about the "power of the Spirit." 

Am I the only one that sees something wrong with the picture that I am painting? Some may say that I am using extreme examples of simple problems. I refuse that theory based on the fact that we are living in a world where extreme has become the normal. It is all right for everyone to be extreme except in the church world. In my process of thought there is a difference in being extreme and being eccentric or strange. I am talking about being "extreme" when it comes to recognizing the "Greatness of God." I have seen the Greatness of God revealed in our lives as well as in the lives of others on my journey through life. I refuse to stop believing that "God is great and that God is good. Let us thank Him for our food. By His hand we are fed. Thank you Lord for our daily bread. Amen!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment