Friday, October 17, 2014

How Can All Be Well?

Last night I participated in a group discussion with leaders in which we discussed means, plans, ideas, strategies, desires, etc. to reach this generation with the message of the Gospel. It did not take us very long into the discussion before we began to identify some of the obstacles, challenges, sins, and difficulties that we face. I don't believe that it is wrong to identify the strategies of the enemy because this process of identification affords us the opportunity to plan our counterattack against the enemy. This process of identification will work for us as individuals as well as benefit a congregation of believers in my opinion.

I will not name all of the obstacles or challenges that we identified last night but I will share that the stress and anxiety of life quickly appeared in our conversation as a major struggle that we face. Many of you who read this blog have faced and maybe continue to face the stress of everyday life (marriage, finances, rearing your children, concerns with employment, health issues, just to name a few.). This post is not written to discourage you but it is meant to let you know that it is all right to "get real" with God and let Him know about the "real" issues of life that we face on a daily basis. I will confess that I have learned that honesty with God during my personal prayer time is one of the best decisions that I have learned to make regarding my walk with Christ. Christ already knows our struggles but as we verbalize those needs it opens the door of faith and we are able to invite Christ into our situation.

Our Call to Worship leader a few weeks ago shared a story about Horatio G. Spafford. You may not be familiar with Mr. Spafford but many of us will be familiar with one of the songs he wrote. He was led to write a powerful song in the midst of a great challenge in his life. His family has perished in a trans-Atlantic voyage and Mr. Spafford shares these words with us at one of the darkest moments in his life. You may ask, "How did he write this song at such a difficult time in his life?" He must have chosen to identify his hurt and sorrow yet at the same time he chose to allow God entry into his wounded heart and soul. He penned words that would resonate throughout Christianity and I dare say that many of you have sung this song or at least a portion of this song. The song actually has six (6) verses but I am most familiar with four (4) of them. I will share those verses with you. Allow the Spirit to speak peace to your heart and soul as you read these words.

  1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
    It is well, it is well with my soul.
    • Refrain:
      It is well with my soul,
      It is well, it is well with my soul.
  2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
    Let this blest assurance control,
    That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
    And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
  3. My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
    My sin, not in part but the whole,
    Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
    Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

  4. And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
  5. The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
  6. The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
  7. Even so, it is well with my soul.

There is peace, rest and calm assurance in the midst of your storm!!



No comments:

Post a Comment