Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thirsty for God

Psalm 42:1-2, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God.When can I go and meet with God? (NIV)


I have thought on this passage of scripture many times in the recent years. I am sure that I have referenced it from time to time in a Bible Study or message. Yet, I still don't know if I actually live this out on a daily basis. Is my soul truly "thirsty for God" or is that just some of the Christian "language/verbiage" that I have learned to toss around so that I can appear to be a spiritual person? Let us be honest with each other; it is a lot easier to "talk the talk rather than walk the walk." I can shout these words from a mountain top day after day but reality is calling me to put this passage of scripture into daily operation in my life.

I know where the refrigerator is located when I become thirsty at home. Thirst will quickly move me toward my destination. I also quickly partake of what I was looking for once I arrive at its location. God is awakening our spiritual thirst. But will we arise and draw near to His presence? Or will be just become comfortable with the status quo and only discuss our need for more of God? The second option is far more simple and requires less commitment on our part. But let me hasten to add this nugget of truth, "We are still thirsty after all of the discussions." A lot of talking only adds to our problem of thirst; it never alleviates it in any manner, shape or form. 

What action will we take? Will we choose to talk or will we choose to pursue more of God in our lives? 

Let me share something with you that I read this morning. These words express much of what I feel in my heart. 

"There's something in the depths of my soul that desperately yearns for the Lord. I have a desire to know Him in the unfathomable wonder of His glory. I want to move beyond the heartless worship and empty religious forms and have an overwhelming experience of His presence.

I don't just want to know about the Lord. I yearn to encounter Him in the fullness of who He is." 

No comments:

Post a Comment