Friday, March 20, 2015

Spiritual Growth

I Peter 2:2-3, "as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious." (NJKV)

This season of Lent reminds me of my need to draw closer to God. That terminology can almost become so common to my "spiritual speech" that it looses the true purpose of this passage of scripture. I have to honestly ask myself this question; "Do I truly desire "the pure milk of the word" which will produce growth/spiritual maturity?" Or have I just become comfortable with the spiritual mantra that I have learned to repeat so that I will appear "hungry" to God and "hungry" to my fellow man? Have you ever heard these words spoken; "Words are cheap." It is easier "to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk."

I read different blog posts, books and even devotionals that seek to tell me what we need in the modern day church. But I must admit that I am concerned as I read some of these writings. I am concerned that I read very little about the need for more of God in our lives. I do read about purchasing the latest "systems" that these ministries have developed that will assist me in reaching people. I do read about purchasing the latest training manual that these ministries have developed to assist me in reaching people. I do read about a group of sermons that has been developed by this ministry that will assist me in increasing the attendance and financial strength of the local church that I serve. I could go on but I think that you may be able to see my point. 

There are some days that I read very little about our need for CHRIST. I don't understand how the early church leaders ever made a difference in their culture without these valuable and life-changing resources. (NOTE: The previous sentence was written somewhat "tongue in cheek.") I quickly remember that they were committed to the message of Christ and not some manual or system that had been created to reach people. I may receive some criticism from this post as an "old-fashioned Preacher" who is against training, organization, preparation, etc. That conclusion would be wrong to say the least. 

This post is not about what I am against BUT it is intended to let you know what I support. I support Jesus Christ as our Answer! I support Jesus Christ as our Savior! I support spiritual growth/maturity as the solution to the ills/problems that we are facing in the church in 2015! I support the power of Love, Grace and Mercy being released in our lives! Can you imagine what would happen in OUR LIVES if we embraced the principles and promises found in the passage for today? Will you join me in the quest to "know more about our Lord?"

No comments:

Post a Comment