Friday, May 29, 2015

Priorities

Matthew 6:33, "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." (NKJV)

It has been a week since I shared any thoughts with you. The past week has been a busy one ministering to families who were facing some difficult circumstances. But it was also during that same week that I witnessed God at work in those circumstances. 1) I witnessed the faith of hurting people being released as they trusted God with their pain and sorrow. 2) I saw the care, love and concern of the body of Christ being released toward these hurting individuals. 3) I witnessed the Love of God being put into action through the lives of men and women who made a conscious decision to serve their fellow man. There is much more to write and share and I had planned on sharing those thoughts on the blog today. BUT the Holy Spirit spoke to my heart in another manner today and I feel that I need to listen to His direction.

The passage of scripture in Matthew 6 rose in my spirit as I prayed this morning. I will emphasize a few words in the next few sentences and I trust you take a moment and listen for the Voice of God to speak to you as He spoke to me this morning. What if every believer made Matthew 6:33 their primary desire? What if we put this passage into action on a daily basis? Why have many Christians allowed their relationship God to become secondary in their lives? Why have many Christians turned serving God into a convenience driven relationship rather than a primary desire in their lives? Each of us must remove those things, desires, plans and personal agendas that are interfering in our walk with Christ. 

There is a new word that has been added to our Christian vocabulary. It is the word "nones." It is used to identify that group of individuals who have distanced themselves from any form of organized religion. You can read more information about this new designation on different websites. But the Spirit placed another word in my heart this morning that troubled me. It was the word "Somes." I doubt this word exists but the Spirit used this "word" to illustrate the condition of some in the modern day church. "Somes" are people who serve God when it is convenient, easy, and especially those times when it does not interfere with their plans, ideas, desires or pleasures. Serving God is not always convenient; there is a price to pay to be a true follower of Jesus Christ. Let me remind you of some other words that Jesus spoke.

Matthew 7:13-14,  “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell (the road that leads to destruction) is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose that way. 14 But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it." (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment