Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Sharing our Faith

2 Timothy 1:5, "I remember your genuine faith, for you share the faith that first filled your grandmother Lois and your mother, Eunice. And I know that same faith continues strong in you." (NLT)

I believe that it is very important that each of us share our faith with those people that we encounter but ever more importantly we need to share our faith with those people that we influence on a daily basis. We could use words such as "testify, living out our faith, or putting our faith into practice" to describe our desire. In my opinion the terminology does not matter as much as our willingness to share our faith openly so that those around us can recognize that I have a relationship with Christ. I believe that the Apostle Paul had seen this happen in the life of his protege, Timothy. I pray that that same release of faith can be identified in and through my life as I continue my journey on earth.

I would like to share with you some words that I spoke in last Sunday's sermon. I trust that you will be encouraged and challenged to share your faith with those people that you can influence on a daily basis whether they be family or friends. 

There is an element in our society which wants us to believe that the message of the Gospel is outdated, uninteresting and that is should be relegated to the past as an archaic relic.   But Paul's words to Timothy somewhat refutes that theory.   The letter written from the Apostle Paul to the young Minister Timothy identifies three (3) separate generations.   We have the grandmother, Lois; the mother, Eunice and the son, Timothy.   But there is a common element present in each of their lives.   It is not their age.   It is not their gender.   It is not their names.   BUT IT IS THEIR COMMON FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST!!!   The King James Version refers to their faith as “unfeigned.”   Unfeigned faith is “genuine, sincere, and without hypocrisy."  Another interesting fact found in this letter is the fact that this faith has been transferred from generation to generation.   The same faith that first appeared in Lois and then in Eunice is now being lived out in the faith of the son and grandson, Timothy.   Timothy’s faith walk had led him into a ministerial call that would possibly affect people that neither Lois nor Eunice would ever know.   It is amazing the effect that genuine, sincere faith can have on people.   FYI: I believe that same type of faith can be effective in 2015.   

No comments:

Post a Comment