Monday, May 4, 2015

Thoughts from the Weekend

I am quite sure that each of us take advantage of the opportunity of looking back at certain days and certain situations and reflecting on what we have learned or what we should have learned from those events. The greater majority of my adult life has been spent in the ministry and it seems that I have had my share of those types of opportunities. I am still determined to learn and understand those principles that God is revealing to me personally as well as ministerially, I never want to lose that desire or that concern for God and I realize that it is to my spiritual benefit to assimilate those lessons into my daily living.

Sunday's sermon brought to my attention a few critical decisions that I feel must be answered by each individual Christian. One of those questions can be framed in this manner; "What am I doing with those principles that God has taught me and what will I do with those principles that God is teaching me? The second question could be considered a follow up to the first question; "Am I willing to apply those principles to my daily life and follow Christ with a heart that is committed to Him in true discipleship?"

Individual Christians must decide whether or not that we will be an "onlooker" who is just interested in observing God or will I be a true "follower" of Christ who submits my life to Him as Lord as well as Savior? I believe that there is a true difference in an "onlooker" and a "follower." I also believe that Jesus is looking for followers and not just onlookers. The world in which we are living is looking for true, genuine, authentic believers who are willing to stand firm and strong in their trust in Christ regardless of the situation that they are facing. We see the difference between an "onlooker" and "follower" being lived out in various parts of the world where Christians, both young and old, are paying the ultimate price of discipleship. We are reading stories of believers being martyred for their declaration and belief in the name of Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I don't think an "onlooker" would make the decision to die but it is very possible that a true "follower" (disciple) could have the courage to make that type of decision. 

At the end of the day the question still remains; "Am I a follower of Jesus or just an onlooker?"

No comments:

Post a Comment