Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Abandonment to God

For the past several weeks the Lord has been challenging my thought process concerning surrender/obedience to the leading of His Spirit. I know that those are very common "Christian" terms that we use in our conversation with God as well as each other. But have I reached the place that I am prepared to fully surrender to the Lord and walk in the Spirit of obedience regardless of the requests and directions of the Lord? These words are easier to speak then they are to put into action. I sense and believe that God is calling me and those of you who are reading this post today to obedience and surrender. But this call can not be fully answered with only words; it will require action and response to God to fully bring the favor of God in our relationship with Him. My devotional reading today brought a quote of Oswald Chambers into my life. Chambers says, "Are you prepared to let God take you into union with Himself, and pay no more attention to what you call the great things? Are you prepared to abandon entirely and let go?" Chambers also goes on to challenge our approach of asking God too many questions rather than choosing to trust God. As I read these words I was convicted of my failure to fully abandon myself to the great cause of Christ. I have prayed these words; I have spoken these words to other believers in the discourse of sermons; and I have even encouraged other believers to be willing to take the next step in their relationship with God. Yet, I felt the tug of the Spirit on my heart and I began to realize that my abandonment was not as strong as God desired. I must move away from the weakness of the flesh and trust in God with all of my being. Do I know where God is leading me? The answer is no, but I may not know the destination but I do know the direction. The Spirit is directing me to draw closer to God in a more intimate relationship with Him. And out of this developing intimacy will come the revelation of the destination if I will continue my heartfelt pursuit of God. Open your hearts today and begin afresh and anew the journey of abandonment to the direction of the Spirit. The intensity of the Spirit continues to grow stronger in the revival services at New Beginnings church. I am praying that each of us who are involved in the services will continue to respond to the leading of the Spirit. God is ready to meet the needs of His people if we will follow Him and love Him with all of our heart. I appreciate all of those who are praying for the success of the revival; rest assured your prayers are making a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment