Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Reflections on the Cross

As we continue to move toward Good Friday we need to reflect on the challenges that Jesus faced during His last week on this earth. He would endure the sham of false witnesses being presented at the various "trials' that He faced. He would endure the mockery that was shouted at Him as He listened to the untruths that were being presented. He would endure the physical torture and beatings that would be inflicted upon Him; remember all of this was before He ever reached the agony of the cross. Oh, what price was paid for the redemption of mankind! Our human minds can never fully conceive the price that was paid for our sins; but aren't you glad that He was willing to die in your place and pay the debt for your ransom from the powers of darkness? Jesus' death on the cross opened the door for my redemption and for my relationship with God. We should lift our voices in praise and thanksgiving as we reflect on the cross. I was awakened this morning with this scripture passage being repeated in my heart. The Apostle Paul shared these encouraging and challenging words with Timothy in his first letter to him. "Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called..." (1 Timothy 6:12a) NKJV. This scripture allows me to understand that I must be prepared to do whatever is necessary to insure that I am going to follow after God in this journey through life. This passage allows me to understand that I will face some battles and struggles in which the enemy will seek to overthrow my faith and interfere in my walk with Christ. It means that I must allow purpose and desire to be released as I "lay hold" on eternal life. Eternal life will have to be grasped through faith and the enemy will do all in his power to interfere with the release of my faith. But Holy Week teaches that Jesus did not allow the difficulties of that week to stop Him from His intended purpose. He knew that His destiny would take Him to the cross on Calvary yet He remained true to His journey on this earth. We too must remember that God has a destiny for all of us and we must be determined through the grace of God to walk the course of our destiny. We must be willing to "fight" through all obstacles and barriers that seek to hinder us and we must be willing to "lay hold" on the strength that God has provided us through the death of Christ on the cross. Take note, the Lord has provided for your victory and not your defeat. He suffered in death that we might live in power and might. Take courage today; press on; look up and see the presence of God leading the way; and trust in the promises of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment