Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Blessing of Encouragement

Over the past few days I have made the following comments to people; "I am praying for you, I have had you in my thoughts and prayers, you are a blessing to me, and I appreciate all that you are doing for the cause of the Kingdom of God." I am sure that many of you could add your own list of encouraging words that you share with individuals on a daily basis. But do we truly recognize the power of these words to encourage those who are in need of that type of support at an important time in their lives? These do not have to be "religious phrases" that we speak but they have the potential to release a blessing to our brothers and sisters in the family of God. All of us face those times in which we need the strength of encouragement to be deposited in our life. We face the storms and challenges of daily living and we need someone to take the time to encourage us with kind and thoughtful actions. I have seen the time in my life in which I needed someone to take the steps of action and offer their support through prayer and encouragement. This thought has arisen in my heart over the past few days as I have reflected on statements that people have made to me. These statements have caused me to realize and remember the strength and power of encouragement. As I stand before different congregations each week I am depending on the prayers of the people of God. People who pray for me on a daily basis do not fully understand the impact that their prayers are making not only in my life but in the lives of the local churches in which I am ministering. What a blessing to be able to walk into the pulpit and share the Word of God knowing that someone has been praying for me and for the services. Do not overlook the importance of prayer and encouragement. You are more important that even you think when you offer yourself to God as a servant of prayer and encouragement. Do not think that your prayers and words of encouragement go unnoticed by those who are the recipient of your prayers. Many of us walk in the strength of the daily prayer covering of those who are truly interested in our spiritual well being. It is a blessing to remember the words of Jesus, "Men ought always to pray and not faint." Someone is depending on your prayers today. Someone is depending on the word of encouragement that you will speak. Be obedient to God and be a blessing to the family of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment