Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What am I Doing in Church?

The inspiration for today's blog was birthed in my heart during the revival service last night. The Lord began to deal with me regarding my "activities" in the time that we spend in church service supposedly worshipping God. Is it possible that we have made church more about us than we have about God? Is it possible that I am interested in my comfort, my wants, my likes, and my dislikes in such a manner that I forget about the true reason that I am attending that particular service? The true purpose of the Body of Christ assembling together is to exalt Christ and edify (build up) my brothers and sisters in Christ. It is going to be very difficult to accomplish these two goals if I am always interested in my needs and my desires. I am not saying that your needs that only God can supply are unimportant; but I am talking about those "comfort needs" that I possess that causes me to focus more on me than I am focusing on Christ. After all, He is worthy of my praise and adoration regardless of who is singing, regardless of what song they chose to sing, regardless of who is setting near me, and a long list of other distractions that can move my focus away from God. I do not want this post to sound harsh; that is certainly not the purpose of this thought. I just feel that God is worthy of our best praise and He is worhty of our undivided attention. But I truly believe that God is calling us back to Him and back to our true focus being on Him when we gather to worship. Is it possible that we miss His presence in the service because we are focused on all of these other "things" going on around us? I am not saying that order and preparation are not needed in the house of God; I am not saying that we do not need the right song for the right moment; I am not saying that we do not need the minister to have an anointing as He prepares to share the Word. Yes, we need order, we need correct musical selection, and yes, we need anointed preaching. But we also need to "turn our eyes to Jesus" and realize that He is near to us and that He is prepared to respond to our Worship and Adoration. As you prepare for your next Worship service remember that the King of Kings and Lord of Lords is going to be present and you want to make sure that you are looking for Him as He enters His House (remember the church is not ours, the church belongs to Him through His purchase price on the cross).

No comments:

Post a Comment