Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Discipline, Conclusion

The past few days have caused me to look at the principle of discipline in my own life. I have reflected back over the days of my childhood and youth in which I lived under and I lived with the correction that my earthly father provided. Last night I had the privilege to share a phone conversation with him (he is now 83 years old and still involved in ministry I might add). In my mind's eye I could see my dad begin to smile as I heard the laughter in his voice. After we finished the conversation I began to realize that the person who was the disciplinarian in our family truly loved me and only desired the best for me when he would be called on to dispense the appropriate discipline. It is needless to say but my heart was full of heartfelt appreciation for the person who loved me enough that He was willing to share "tough love" when necessary. He was able to see the potential that my life held if only I would submit to his authority and leadership in my life. Is that not a true picture of our Heavenly Father? He wants to prevent me from becoming an immature, selfish individual who only lives to please himself. If we are left to follow the plans of our own making (flesh driven) we will have the tendency to move away from God and toward the temptation and practice of sin. But God in His great love for humanity provided a remedy to this situation; it is the total surrender of our lives to Christ. The discipline of God reminds us why obedience to Him is the best way. My earthly father only possessed hopes and dreams as he observed my life but my Heavenly Father had Divine Knowledge regarding my potential. He would then allow me to choose whether to receive Him or reject Him. I am glad that I chose to receive Him into my life and to allow Him to correct me when needed. I am blessed that God loves me enough to continue moving me toward that potential that still resides in me today. You are also full of potential, allow Him to direct your steps even when they lead you down the road of correction.

No comments:

Post a Comment