Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Personal Accountability

Romans 14:12, "Yes, each of us will give a personal account to God." (NLT)

I understand that this passage of scripture is taken from the portion of the Apostle Paul's letter in which he is writing about the "judgment seat of Christ." But I do think that it can also serve as a reminder to take personal accountability for my actions, my reactions, my decisions, my attitude toward my fellow believers, etc. I truly believe that the Spirit raised up this passage in my heart during prayer this morning and I feel led to share these thoughts with you.

I believe that this passage of instruction needs to be read in the light of the conditions of the world. It appears that some believers are constantly overwhelmed at the actions or lack thereof of other believers and yes, even non-believers. I face some of those same emotions from my perspective as a Pastor. I also can become frustrated, disappointed and even aggravated (OUCH!!) at the way other people conduct their walk with Christ. I have found myself very disappointed at times almost to the point of saying; "What good am I doing in trying to help people identify with serving Jesus Christ." There are pews and chairs in houses of Worship that are empty all across America on any given Sunday due to the failure of people to keep the promises that they have made to God. BUT there are also pews and chairs full of people who have a desire to serve God and to please Him on their journey through life.

As a believer I can become overwhelmed and discouraged through each of these scenarios that I just described. But I must remember that I can not control the decisions of others either good or bad. I can not make the choices for others either good or bad. I can not choose the path of life for them to follow. 

BUT I CAN MAKE THE DECISION TO TAKE "PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY" FOR MY LIFE AND LIVE IT FOR CHRIST TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY. I must stop looking at others. I must stop waiting on others. I must make sure that I am choosing the right people to influence me but I must also realize their influence can only take me so far on my journey. I HAVE TO MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE TO FOLLOW CHRIST!! No one else can pick up my cross and follow Jesus for me. That choice is mine and mine only to make. We must STOP looking around at everyone else and decide that WE are going to be faithful in our walk with Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment