Thursday, July 16, 2015

Thinking About Jesus

John 3:16-17, "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved." (NKJV)

Two separate situations placed some thoughts in my mind this morning. The first challenge to think was our time of study last night during a discipleship class. We talked about the fact that God has an individual plan for each of our lives. That individual plan will fall into the parameters of our participation in the Kingdom of God. The second reminder came to me as I was reading one of my devotions this morning. I was reminded through this devotional that Jesus Christ came to this Earth with a designed plan for His life. The passage from John 3 sheds some light on that plan and purpose for the life of Jesus Christ on planet Earth.

But this question came into my mind as I thought about Jesus and His time on Earth. Have I completely "bought into" that plan and fully realized the far-reaching effect of that plan? Am I doing my best to invest my life in that plan through active participation with Him and the purpose of His Kingdom? 

The world around is changing quicker than we realize. The "old news" of yesterday is being replaced by the challenges of today. We are witnessing the effects of sin, wickedness, evil, hatred, bigotry, etc. on a daily basis. How am I responding to these events that are grabbing the headlines on a daily basis? Am I "thinking about Jesus" when I plan my response to these sinful activities? Am I "thinking about Jesus" when my emotions rise up in me when I see the moral and spiritual standards of our world under such attack? Instead of "thinking about Jesus" am I spending much of my thinking time "thinking about me and my desires?" 

I understand that these events going on around us bring hurt, worry, fear, frustration, anxiety, stress, concern, etc. But we must realize that Jesus Christ is for us and not against us. As Christians we must remain connected with and committed to the message of the Gospel. Jesus Christ came to seek and save the lost. He has called me (us) to join Him in that work and I need to be faithful in fulfilling that purpose and plan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment