Monday, January 2, 2017

It is Time to PRAY

Psalm 27: 7-8, “Hear, O Lord, when I cry with my voice! Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. When You said, “Seek My face, “My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” (NKJV)

I trust that you were blessed with a safe and enjoyable New Years Weekend. I know that the weekend of celebration has not officially ended since today is considered a "holiday" in many aspects of our society such as work and school. I was blessed and honored to be able to celebrate the Savior of the World on New Years Day. Let me add that the presence of the Savior was rich, humbling as well as challenging in the service in New River Worship Center in Radcliff, KY. I truly believe that these are the days that the Spirit is calling us to draw closer to God and at the same time the enemy of our soul is doing everything that he can to stop that process from taking place.

I also believe that the modern day church faces the same challenge or call that David references in the passage of scripture that I have shared with you today. We face a major decision in the church world. The correct decision hinges on whether or not we choose to respond appropriately to the call of the Spirit or will we continue to just make plans that satisfies the "fleshly" or natural part of our lives while the spiritual part of our lives are becoming empty and dry? 

The enemy of our soul has convinced us to take care of ourselves and the desires that we have at work in our lives. The Apostle Paul warned young Timothy about this reality with these words in 2 Timothy 3:1-5, “But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

These words are challenging to say the least but the Apostle Paul recognized the fact that we would be in a war with ourselves as we traveled this road of life. 

Don't you believe that it is time to wake up and be alert to the tactics, strategies and devices of satan? We take time time for everything that we want to do and for everything that we want to accomplish. Will we take time for God? Will we take time to pray? Will we take time to draw near to God? We will take time to provide moments of pleasure, recreation, fun and relaxation for ourselves. There is certainly nothing inherently sinful about those decisions but at the same time are we "squeezing" time for God out of our lives? Will we take time to make room for God today in the midst of our busy lives?

I am encouraging you to join with me and other believers around our nation in 21 days of prayer, fasting and reconnecting with God through specific times of sacrifice and self-denial. Let us say NO to the spirit of ME FIRST and YES to GOD!! I truly believe that we will become "better people" if we will follow the directions and guidance of the words in Psalm 27. Will you take the time to make that commitment today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment