Thursday, August 9, 2012

God's Requirements

"And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God ask of you but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in obedience to him, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul," Deuteronomy 10:12 (New International Version NIV)

We often ask ourselves this question, "What does God require of me or expect of me?"  I believe that there are some requirements that God expects from us.  It might sound more palatable if we used the words "character traits" instead of requirements.  But regardless of the word or words that you may choose to use I believe that there is a lifestyle that we need to model that allows people to see that Christ has made a difference in our lives.  The pressure from the attitudes of the world appears to want to blur that line even more.  The world will say that living for Christ should not be offensive or challenging; yet a true relationship with Christ will bring transformation and reformation.  The Apostle Paul was an example of the change of a person's life once they encounter the Risen Christ.  I am not advocating "haughty, high-minded or arrogant" Christianity but I am an advocate for authentic Christianity.  Authentic Christianity will allow the life and light of Christ to shine through us in a manner that will reflect the inner change that has taken place in our individual lives. 

Here are some principles that God shared with Moses that he shared with the people.  First let us always remember that the Mercy of God will provide the strength we need to live out the life of Christ.  It will never take place in the human efforts of our knowledge or abilities.  This should be the daily cry and prayer from our hearts.  I would like to share a prayer with you that I read a few days ago that continues to speak to my heart today.  "Dear God, Help me to have a reverent fear of you, to walk in all your ways, to love you, and to serve you with all my heart and with all my soul. You are the remedy for my soul; the cure for all my pain, hurt and wrong; the solution for every problem. You are Rapha, the Healer regardless of the type of healing that I need. You are great and greatly to be praised.  I lift your name on high.  Shine through my life.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment