Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Tuesday's Thoughts

2 Peter 3:9, "The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance." (NKJV)

I read this passage of scripture prior to my prayer time this morning. But it took on a new perspective as the Spirit brought it to my attention during certain sections of my time of prayer. I have heard these words shared in many sermons and I have even spoken these words and this principle in many sermons that I have shared. 

Many times I have focused on the words "any should perish" but today the word "longsuffering" kept rising in my spirit. The idea that God does not want anyone to perish is supported and kept at the forefront of His plan for humanity because of His longsuffering. He "suffers long" for His creation. He refuses to stop reaching out to them in love, care, compassion, kindness, etc. He continues to drop "signs" in their path so that they will know that He has not walked away from them or that He has not forgotten them.

As a parent I can remember those moments in the lives of our children which required some longsuffering on our part. I can remember the times when they were learning to feed themselves (Oh the mess to be reckoned with and cleaned up). NOTE: It did get better over time under the direction and care of a compassionate Mother who was "longsuffering" and willing to work through the process of growth. Can you remember the first steps of your children or grandchildren? More than likely the steps were wobbly to begin with but got stronger and steadier with the assistance of the steadying hand of a parent. Can you remember assisting with homework? Longsuffering was a very much welcomed attribute during those moments for both parent and child. What about the first driving lesson? I will stop with that example because that can bring into play a complete different set of circumstances. 

Hopefully these brief examples of life can remind us of the AWESOME LOVE, CARE, COMPASSION, KINDNESS AND LONGSUFFERING that our Heavenly Father possesses for each of His children and each of His future children. We should remember that God is calling this wayward generation to repentance and their response will require "longsuffering" from each of us!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment