Friday, July 8, 2016

America the Beautiful???

2 Chronicles 7:14, "if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (NKJV)

My heart is saddened this morning as I prepare to write this blog post. I am saddened by the events of the past few days across our land but I am even more saddened at the condition of the hearts of Americans. I spent much of my prayer time in confession this morning. The Book of Daniel reveals that Daniel confessed his personal sins as well as the sins of the nation. This was the spiritual position that I found myself in this morning. I was able to identify the lack of concern for others as well as a lack of respect for one another that has taken a firm grip on our nation. Wasn't it just a few days ago that we were "celebrating" America? And now we are seeing the results of our personal as well as our national rejection of God at work in our land. Where did we get off course?

These words may not be popular but I do think that they need to be said. Each of us bear some responsibility as we view the landscape of our nation not only today but over the past several years of our lives. Where is our brokenness when it comes to the affairs of humanity? How long has it been since we have shed any tears over the spiritual condition of our families and our friends? How long has it been since we got alone with God and actually prayed? How long has it been since we have attended a meeting that was "dedicated" to prayer? When will we stop using the excuse that we don't how to pray? Dedicate some of your time to Prayer and you and I will learn to Pray!!

We no longer gasp at the stories that fill the headlines of the news reports. It seems that the Louisville television stations or radio stations are always reporting about a murder or murders in our city or surrounding cities. We easily forget the death of a three year old that was murdered by her father. We easily forget those unknown people (at least to us) who die from a drug overdose. We easily forget the family who is dealing with the death of their family member who was killed by a driver who was operating a vehicle under the impairment of alcohol or drugs (both street as well as prescription). We also forget the family of the driver who was at the wheel of the vehicle. What about the people who commit suicide? What about the people who are trapped in the lifestyle of prostitution or the sex slave market? Does it truly concern us when we see others trapped in the clutches of sin which lead to anger, frustration, desperation, volatility and uncontrolled actions or reactions? 

I was convicted of this fact; I forget very easily when I do not have a personal connection or attachment. But my forgetfulness in these situations is not a product of the fruit of the Spirit. Listen to these words; "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Is it possible that this is one of the missing elements in our nation? The Bible reminds us of this awesome principle, "For God so loved the world..." We hear the term "worldview" used in many different scenarios today but John 3:16 gives us "God's view" of the world. Our worldview needs to embrace the worldview of God. I encourage each of us to repent and ask God to show us our sins, failures and faults when it comes to our care and concern for our fellow human beings regardless of race, color, ethnicity, social status, educational status, political persuasion, etc. 

I want to leave you with a verse of a song that was written by Woodie Guthrie. I was reminded of this song this morning as I was preparing to pray. I know that seems odd but it was one of the ways that God reminded me of the importance of EVERY PERSON IN AMERICA!!!

This land is your land This land is my land
From California to the New York island; 
From the red wood forest to the Gulf Stream waters 
This land was made for you and Me.

Did you take time to notice the last line of this verse? 

No comments:

Post a Comment