Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Pressing On

There has been a song on and in my heart for the past several days. I can remember singing it on many occasions in my years of Christian service. The words spoke to my heart then and I believe that God has called me back to review the theme that Joseph Oatman, Jr. sensed in 1898 when he penned Higher Ground. The first line of the song says, "I'm pressing on the upward way..." Does anyone else sense that same call to "press on?" Have you noticed in your heart a desire to draw near to God? Do you remember the response that God has promised to those who draw near? God has promised to draw near to those who seek to draw near to Him. I am determined to respond to the mandate from God that is revealed in the Bible. 

I fully understand that each of us face many obstacles on any given day of our lives but God is faithful to fulfill His promises to His children. I would often share prayer requests with my Dad and we would come into agreement with each other and with God's Word as we prayed about these requests. But on many occasions he would remind me of these words; "Son, each of us needs to do the possible and trust God to do the impossible." I asked myself this question during prayer this morning; "Am I willing to do the possible?" I challenge you to ask yourself that same question. The modern day church needs believers who will stop shirking or ignoring their spiritual responsibilities. The modern day church needs believers who will look for the opportunities to "do the possible" and believers who will expect and anticipate God to do the impossible!!!

Here is the words of the song that I referenced in today's post. Read or sing it with an open heart and mind toward God. Be willing to make the commitment to press on and draw near to God. 

1.      I’m pressing on the upward way,
New heights I’m gaining every day;
Still praying as I’m onward bound,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”
o    Refrain:
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
By faith, on Heaven’s tableland,
A higher plane than I have found;
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
2.      My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where those abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.
3.      I want to live above the world,
Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.
4.      I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I’ll pray till heav’n I’ve found,
“Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.”


No comments:

Post a Comment