Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Spiritual Process

I just completed my ninth session of occupational therapy a few minutes ago. These sessions have reminded me about the importance of process. I have seen great progress in the movement of my shoulder over the past several weeks. The elbow is a different story; it is still somewhat rebellious and resists the treatment of the therapist. The elbow has the capability of doing what it did before the fall but it has become frozen or locked in it's present position. The present position of the elbow hinders me from doing those things that require the cooperation of the elbow. Isn't that the way we become with God? We become frozen or locked into a certain place in our relationship with God and if we are not careful stubbornness or disobedience begins to control us. My elbow has reached the place that it has become comfortable not moving and it resists my effort to move it in a normal fashion. We must be careful and not become content or comfortable in our spiritual condition. The Holy Spirit understands and knows the areas in which we need movement, flexibility, and strength. My elbow says, "Leave me alone, I am comfortable in this position" but my mind and body says I need your help. Don't we tell the Spirit to leave us alone when we resist His work in our lives? Don't we tell the Spirit that we are comfortable when we ignore the call from God to draw closer to His will and way? I am committed to the process of seeing my shoulder, elbow, arm, and hand restored completely. If I am going to see that process completed I must be willing to submit to the leadership of the therapist and be willing to follow her directions. We must be willing to follow the Spirit into the process of our spiritual future and submit to His direction in our individual lives. Let 2011 be a great year of spiritual transformation for each of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment