Friday, May 8, 2009

Reflections

Yesterday was a travel day for me. I trust that you took time to pray for our nation, your community, your local church and your family yesterday. Every day needs to be a National Day of Prayer but it is a blessing to have those special times in which the Body of Christ corporately seeks the face of God. My vehicle became my prayer closet as I joined other Christians around this nation in crying out for the intervention of God in the affairs of our nation. On several occasions I was able to tune into various radio programs that had asked for people to call and record their prayers for our country. I was blessed as I listened to the various members of the Body lift their voices seeking for God to send His Spirit afresh and anew in our lives. I heard both old and young intercessors, I heard people from various ethnic backgrounds and people from various sections of our country lift their voices to God seeking for His direction. It is such a blessing and strength to be a part of the family of God and watch the other "family" members offer their prayers for me and the needs that I am facing. Many of us may be intimidated by the thought of prayer. We are concerned if we are praying in the right manner and using the right words. I read this quote recently and it reinforced my desire to pray even more. The writer defined prayer in this manner: "Prayer is simply having a conversation with God." If we could only take that approach when we come to God in prayer. Certainly we offer respect and reverence for God but we also need to remember that God has given us the opportunity to come to Him in prayer. It is God who has called us to draw near and make our needs known to Him. It is God who has sought to interact with mankind; it is God who has chosen to adopt us into His family through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. Why should I fear prayer? Why should I be intimidated when I come before the presence of the loving Heavenly Father who has called me His child? I am always reminded of the simplicity of faith when I see a child or young person come forward for prayer during a revival service. Just to see them offer their request or need to God with sincerity reminds me that God will not turn anyone away who comes to Him in faith believing. Take a moment and review your thoughts concerning your prayer life. The Father is waiting to spend time with you; make yourself available to Him.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, God is approachable. There have been times when I wanted to have a conversation with someone but did not feel the freedom to approach them. God stands ready to talk to us anytime.

    ReplyDelete