Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spiritual Maturity

It is always a privilege to sit and write those things that God places in my heart. Many of these postings are just a reflection of those feelings that are pent up in my heart or they are the result of the convictions that the Spirit places in my life on a daily basis. I am not embarrassed to let you know through this blog that I am a "spiritual work in progress." A children's song of a few years ago declared, "He is still working on me, making me what I ought to be." Do I still sense that in my heart or have I grown comfortable with my spiritual life rather than pursuing the full revelation of His Grace and direction. This morning there is a renewed desire to reach out for spiritual maturity; in the process of maturation I will be able to reach my full potential and reach the destiny that God has planned for my life. Much is written about destiny in our modern Christian literature. Can you fully reach your destiny if you avoid the road of spiritual maturity? Can you fully become all that God has intended you to become if we seek to avoid the type of relationship that challenges our commitment to Christ and His principles being revealed in our lives? I wonder if we have not placed the proverbial "cart before the horse"? Are we interested in our destiny and Christ is interested in our maturity? I don't believe that these two Christian elements are adversaries; but I believe that God intended for them to work together for our spiritual well being. During prayer this morning, I heard the words of Paul rise in my heart; "That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death." (Philippians 3:10, NJKV). Does your heart cry out to know Him? Do not settle for knowing about Him; seek to know Him. Let us seek for His Word to make a difference in our lives. These results were reported in a recent George Barna poll taken among Christians; "29% of Christians said their faith has been helpful but has not greatly transformed their life and 9% stated that their religious faith has not made much a difference in who they are and how they live." (The Barna Group, April 15, 2009). I refuse to live in that category of believers; I have made the decision to pursue spiritual maturity. Will you join me on the journey? Let us prepare to move from our comfort zones into the presence of the Loving and Living God who has a plan for our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment