Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Called to Serve

Matthew 9:12-13, "When Jesus heard that, He said to them. Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. But go and learn what this means: I desire mercy and not sacrifice. For I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance" (NKJV). The ERV translations records verse 13 in this manner; "I will tell you something. Go and learn what it means: I don't want animal sacrifices; I want you to show kindness to people. I did not come to invite good people. I came to invite sinners." I am convicted by the stark reality of the challenge that Christ issued to the people. This challenge comes at the conclusion of the call of Matthew who was called from being a tax collector (a most despised profession of Christ's day). Other tax collectors and sinners were drawn to Christ and His disciples; verse ten of this chapter declares that "many tax collectors and sinners came and sat down with Him (Jesus) and His disciples." This rankled the ire of the Pharisees and they even asked this question to the disciples, "Why does your Teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?" (verse 11). This question is what brought the response of Christ that is serving as our point of interest today. The answer of Christ poses a challenge to all of us. How are we responding to the challenge that Christ issued that day? Is it possible that many modern day believers have become "saved and segregated?" Is it possible that we have hidden ourselves in the "sanctuary" of the church and distanced ourselves from the true call of Christ? Christ has called us away from the offering of animal sacrifices which was a cornerstone doctrine of the Old Covenant; He is calling us to the offering of mercy and kindness to those who are living in need of a personal relationship with Christ. What will we choose to do; will we remain segregated from the "sinners" of the world or will we choose to become "salt and light" to this confused and imprisoned culture? The choice is ours, the challenge was issued over 2,000 years ago by the Head of the Church, Jesus Christ. Will we follow His example and the example of the early disciples or will we choose to set our own direction to how we think the church needs to operate in this world? As for me, I am sensing the call back to the "mission statement" of our founder and leader of the Church. Jesus came to bring the message of the Gospel to sinners. What message am I bringing today? What message is my life speaking today? What message do I want my life speaking? Let us give serious consideration to these thoughts as we look on the needs of our fellow human beings at this point in history. The message of the Gospel still rings true and powerful even today!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! I listened to the message on the link below which is basically the same as your thought.

    http://www.sbts.edu/resources/chapel/fall-2007/message-3/

    ReplyDelete